The Morgan-Holland caper

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: The Morgan-Holland caper
From: jblair@nhr.com (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 22:08:52 -0500 (EST)
Ha gang,

I just ran across an intersting debate on the Britsh car mailing
list about engine overheating.  It was a theoretical (sp) argument.
This got me thinking... a dangerous prospect.  Have any of you
had overheating problems, and how have you fixed them?

My 4/4 Series V has always overheated, so when I restored it, I had
the radiator roded out.  I also found a 160 deg. thermostat.  Guess
what?  She still over heats.

It tends to overheat when at speed.  In fact, as I pull away from a
traffic light, I can watch the temp guage climb.  When I stop for
the next light tends to cool down.  However, this can be short lived
as I have overheated in a parade.

In discussions with numerous people about that I've received the
following suggestions:

1. Put an electric fan on it.

2. Add a heater core (from a pick up truck) under the hood and tie
   it into the heater system.

3. Install a +8 radiator.

4. Make a scoop for under the grill.

Items #1 and #2 make sense, especially at idle and parades.  However,
I hesitate to use them as I show my car with the AACA and I'd either
loose a lot of points, or I'd have the hassel of undoing the
modification before every show.

Item #3 is supposedly the "real" ticket.  However, it is expensive
and the few people I've talked to that have done it say they had a
lot of trouble fitting the radiator.  The brackets had to be moved
etc.

Item #4 might work at speed and could be made to look very original.
Only a "true" Morgan-ite would know it wasn't.  I haven't tried this
yet.

One last item a friend was trying, that is to make a dam from the
radiator forward to the grill to help funnel all the air through
the radiator.  But, my friend said that didn't help his car.

Anyone have any other ideas or comments on what has helped on their
car?
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire