Re: British Racing Green

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring),
Subject: Re: British Racing Green
From: mdmiles@teleport.com (Michael Miles)
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 09:51:15 -0700 (PDT)
At 09:18 AM 5/28/96 -0400, Will Zehring wrote:
>Hi, Greg!
>
>>      My vote's for Brooklands Green, A Ditzler color... If you want, I'll
>>      get the code from home... It's the closest match I could find for thae
>>      prewar LeMans Bentley's
>>
>>      I'd also go with dark blue wings. I think there's a  flat rad painted
>>      thusly in Britain I think it's named the "Black Watch".
>>
>I'd like to get that info on your BRG reference number.  If I don't sell the
>4/4, I plan on repainting it and am stuck picking brg or some form of a
>solid maroon/plum color.  I had thought of black wings with the maroon, but
>I'm not sure about the dark blue w/brg.  Interesting.  There is a very nice
>very dark blue chrysler color called "night watch blue."  A few friends have
>used it on their TVRs and it looks stunning.

It was described as Watch Night Blue by a local owner of a drop-dead
gorgeous DHC Plus 4 (1961 I believe).  The nicely appointed brightwork of
the DHC and a deep blue fabric top set the color off well when (if - this IS
Oregon) the sun shines.  The dullness of the fabric top is a nice complement
to the rich blue color.

Another MOG-NW member in southern Oregon painted the body the same blue used
on Toyota trucks about 5 years ago and painted the wings black.  The
slightly brighter blue was a nice complement to the black.

Yet another member had a 4/4 painted Kingfisher blue which is a lighter
color but it had a lot of black pigment in it to tone it down (that may
sound like an oxymoron but its true, it was a muted light blue).  The color
appears to change dramatically when going from bright sunlight to dusk or
evening light.

61 Plus 4 Four Seater
68 Plus 4 Four Seater
"Entropy happens!"

Michael D. Miles, PE                      Consulting Design Engineer
mdmiles@teleport.com          (503) 292-1234     FAX: (503) 292-1105