Re: +4 Motor Rebuild

To: DCMasters@aol.com
Subject: Re: +4 Motor Rebuild
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 15:59:53 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996 DCMasters@aol.com wrote:

> I recently did a total rebuild on a TR4 motor which included installation of
> an 87mm piston & sleeve kit.  After putting approx. 5hrs  (200 mi.) on the
> fresh motor I am blowing a lot of blue smoke on acceleration.  The rings do
> not appear to have seated. When I assembled the pistons I used white assemby
> lube in the sleeves.  Was this a mistake?

        Which oil are you using?

                It shouldn't be sythetic... Advice is that the break in
                should be done with standard motor oil... Then switch to
                synthetic if desired.

        Also are you sure you installed your piston rings properly?

                Each ring gap should be 180 degrees out from the previous.

        How is your compression cylinder to cylinder?

        Hope this helps

                Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois