Re: +4 Motor Rebuild

To: DCMasters@aol.com
Subject: Re: +4 Motor Rebuild
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 15:24:05 -0400
>I recently did a total rebuild on a TR4 motor which included installation of
>an 87mm piston & sleeve kit.  After putting approx. 5hrs  (200 mi.) on the
>fresh motor I am blowing a lot of blue smoke on acceleration.  The rings do
>not appear to have seated. When I assembled the pistons I used white assemby
>lube in the sleeves.  Was this a mistake?
>Does anyone have an idea how long it should take these rings to seat, or am I
>overlooking something?

Dale:

In my (limited) experience, the piston assembly has always been done dry.  I
have used assy. lube on all bearing surfaces (main, rod, cam), but not on
the rings/liners.  There is some chance that the assy. lube will glaze and
not permit the rings to make a tight seal on the liners.  Also, 200 miles
isn't really enough, IMHO, to let rings seat, regardless.  Either way, there
isn't much for you to do now except continue to drive the car.  If the smoke
problem doesn't clear up then you may need to go back into the engine.  I'd
give it another several 100 miles before I would do anything.

Will Zehring