Re: Summer project day 1

To: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Summer project day 1
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 22:56:48 -0400
At 08:32 PM 6/30/96 -0500, BOB   NOGUEIRA wrote:

> My biggest worry was that I would find that some of the wood had
> rotted and would need to be replaced. Turned out the wood is all
> very sound.

If you come across any bad wood you don't necessarly have to cut it
out.  I used the West System Epoxy when I restored my car (ref the
Tech articles on SOL's tech page).  The lower front edge of the
rear fender arches was rotted away.  I made a dam out of masking
tape, and added some filler to the epoxy.  It made a great repair.

Since you have the wood exposed, I'd suggest you seal it with some
thing.  I epoxied all the wood in my car.  Another thing I did as
to place a bead of silicon calk on the inside of the quarter panels
where the fender comes up past the wood.  This way nothing can get
between the wood and the metal.

> Found a smaller shop which will sell me any size I need and charges
> cost. Additionally he has no problem doing little jobs like rolling
> and breaking . I real find, in that to date I have not had anyone
> with big sheet metal tools available.

Keep on their good side :) I have a shop similar to that here.  They
have been doing a lot of the fabrication of the sheet metal parts
for my Bricklin at a very reasonable price.

Looking forward to the next installment

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!