clutch release bearing

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch release bearing
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:56:32 -0400
Fellow moggers:

It has of late come to my attention that I may have a problem with my clutch
release bearing.  The symptoms are simple:  a faint 'grinding' noise when
the clutch pedal is depressed, no such noise when it is not.  Otherwise the
clutch and box perform fine; no slip, no trouble changing gears, action is
smooth, etc.

I wouldn't be here posting this if I didn't have some questions:
(1)     So, is this the release bearing?
(2)     Is the release bearing on the ford engine/box a true roller bearing
arrangement, or a carbonized circular arrangement, as on my MGB?
(3)     What is the prognosis: i.e. is this a do-it-now(!) sort of thing or
can I nurse the car through August, etc. and make it a winter project?  In
other words; is this thing going to get gradually worse or cataclyzmically
worse?  (i.e. will I get a chance to push my car home?)
(4)     I'm assuming the engine must come out?  (If so, why was I so happy
about doing the rear seal without removing the engine?)

I'm hoping the answer to the above questions are: "yes", "roller bearing",
"not an emergency", and...  I'll assume "yes" is the answer to #4.  That's
not soooo bad, as in the back of my mind I've been thinking of 'going
through' the car.  I'd like to be able to put off such a project until next
year (winter?).  Maybe a re-core on the radiator, sprucing up the engine
bay, maybe even repainting the thing, etc.  This would be my chance to
"upgrade" to a 1600 crossflow too.

Any and all comments/suggestions/help/money would be appreciated.

Will Zehring