Re: clutch release bearing

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch release bearing
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:50:53 -0400
At 11:56 AM 8/8/96 -0400, Will Zehring wrote:

>I wouldn't be here posting this if I didn't have some questions:
>(1) So, is this the release bearing?

Sure sounds like it Will.

>(2) Is the release bearing on the ford engine/box a true roller
>    bearing arrangement, or a carbonized circular arrangement, as on
>    my MGB?

Don't remember.  I'm pretty sure there were some little balls running
around in there, but then it's been over 3 years and 4 clutch jobs
(on other cars) ago.

>(3) What is the prognosis: i.e. is this a do-it-now(!) sort of thing
>    or can I nurse the car through August, etc. and make it a winter
>    project?  In other words; is this thing going to get gradually
>    worse or cataclyzmically worse?  (i.e. will I get a chance to
>    push my car home?)

Will, why rush into anything.  This winter is probably too soon!!
Throw out bearing start make noise long before they fail.  In fact,
I don't ever remember seeing a failed TB, although I know it happens.
My Civic's made noise for over 5 years.  Wait until you decide you
have to repace the clutch.

A note on 4/4 TBs.  There are 2 kinds, a flat face and a rounded face.
The flat face is used if the pressure plate has a platen attached to
the diaphragm fingers.  If there is no "plat" on the fingers, use
the rounded face TB.

>(4) I'm assuming the engine must come out?  (If so, why was I so
>    happy about doing the rear seal without removing the engine?)

Just so you could say you did it!  I don't think so, but I usually
pull the engine.  It's almost easier to pull the engine.  To remove
the xmission without pulling the engine you will have to take it
out through the interior. A pain.  Then the problem will be getting the bell
housing off of the engine, since it sits pretty close to the fire wall.

Suggestions:  Wait a while!

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!