Side Curtains

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Side Curtains
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 21:48:28 -0400
Hey gang,

   A note to briefly bring you up to date on the search for side
curtain rubber gaskets.

   I ordered something that "looks" close from Metro Molded, their
LP-97B.  That doesn't fit.  The base is too wide and too thick.
I've tried a couple of the vendors in the US.  Penny of OWR has
enough to do 1 car in pieces laying around. She wasn't too sure of
the price but about $45.  Bob Couch said that the stuff he has
is for the newer side curtains and that it is too big for the older
cars.   (The Factory has changed the demensions on the channels of
the side curtains on the later "?" cars.) It would have to be cut
down with a razor blade or something.  So I figured I order it
just in case I messed up the stuff I'd gotten from Metro.  He started
to write up the sales and found out that he didn't have any in stock.
He also said he doesn't bother with rebuilding the side curtains when
he restores a car, he gets new ones.  Must be nice as he wants $700+
for a set.

  I've ordered some other gasket/seal material from Restoration
Specialties and Supply.  It has a thinner and narrower base the
what I got from Metro.  This stuff fits the 36-46 Chevy trucks.
I'll let you know how it works.

Anyway, I hope to write an article in the near future about rebuilding
the side curtains.  But so far I have about $15 in plexiglass,  $65
to have the support rails plated, $35 for material to cover the lower
"flap".  We tried to make the covers our self but the sewing machine
crapped out.  Now we hope to take the pieces to a local upholstery
shop and have them sew them up for us.  The original estimate for
material and labor for the covers was about $150.  Throw in another
$25 for plywood and epoxy or Aluminum (more on this in the article)
and your at about $225 plus $30 for the seal material (plus the $30
for the stuff I probably won't use) and you're still under $300.
Much less than a new set of curtains.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!