Re: Morgan Dashboard , De-Camber Kit, Wilburn and mothers advise

To: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Morgan Dashboard , De-Camber Kit, Wilburn and mothers advise
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:00:59 -0400
At 01:41 AM 9/17/96 -0500, BOB   NOGUEIRA wrote:

> I just finished making a new dashboard for the Plus 4 out of
> walnut. Came out great.  Originally I was going to varnish it
> with a high gloss, but as my wife pointed out the old dash had
> yellowed  badly because of the varnish.

> She's voting for a oil finish.  The guy at the wood working shop
> suggested a water based varnish but in my test of that product it
> raises the grain so badly that I fear it would ruin all my work.

>Friends have suggested Tung Oil, wax and Danish Oil.
>What do you all suggest?

Bob, My dad made the new dash for my car and used Minwax's
polyeurathane (sp).  Looks great!  Don't know how it will
last with time if exposed to a lot of sun.  However, I'd
suspect it like most other finishes will break down at some
point in time.  So you'll have to add refinishing you dash
to your list of things to do to the car every 5 to 10 years. :)

>Anyone know what the factory originally used?

Bob,

  I just had this conversation with Gerry Willburn.  Here's what he
told me about the dash boards:

   "The dash boards were stained and varnished mahogany.
    Earlier cars were solid wood. Around 1965 they used a
    veneer on them and what looked to be a clear plastic
    "varnish." Later cars, of course were covered."

> Oh BTW Gerry Wilburn kindly sent me his article on making the
> decamber kit for the older Morgans.

How does his article look?  Should I ask for a copy to put up
on the WEB page?

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!