Help with Noise

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Help with Noise
From: apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us (Armando Picciotto)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 19:16:03 -0700
It seems I'm always writing to you all for help, but that's what you get
for being so good at it.  Anyway, my newest problem is a noise coming
out of the right rear wheel when I break hard.  It happens after running
the car after 1/2 hr or so, and it's a periodic "clunk, clunk, ..." as
the car begins to come to a stop.  It doesn't happen all the time (I
love intermitents).  I got the hub off (thanks John, your articles are
great!) and visually inspected the brakes and they look OK, everything
tightly in place.  The only thing I saw a bit unusual was that the
linings where a bit feathered at the adjuster end.  Could bearings be
causing it?  I thought bearing failure would cause more of a grinding
noise.  Any ideas anyone?

Armando Picciotto
'63 +4