Re: Aluminum Body Benefits

To: "Gary L. Kneisley" <kneisley@ohio.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Body Benefits
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 23:34:33 +0100
"Gary L. Kneisley" <kneisley@ohio.net> writes
>In recent Morgan history, an aluminum body has been offered, and even more
>recently a galvanized chassis.
>
>As I contemplate the purchase of a recent vintage Morgan, perhaps some
>opinions on the benefit/liability of aluminum could be offered.  I should
>think aluminum would be better because of its resistance to rust.  But would
>it be too tender to hold up to the rigors of American highways?
>
>Your opinions are requested, with thanks.
>
>Gary Kneisley
>Grafton, OH USA

Like everything else in Morgan lore, someone will probably disagree with
me, but:

        If you ask the repair guys at the factory, they suggest if you
        are buying a new morgan to get an alloy body and steel wings!

The alloy body saves weight and is felt to be easier to make well. The
use of ferrous tacks to secure the body panels can, in time, cause
oxidation problems, as the dissimilar metals react. Alloy is also softer
and will dent fairly easily. Even an alloy bodied car will have a steel
cowl and scuttle. The wood frame is the main source of strength for the
body, so I feel that the panel material is a fairly minor consideration.

Steel wings are suggested, as the alloy ones will dent from stone
impacts thrown up by the tyres (tires). Steel ones will too, but the
stones have to be bigger! Sticking rubber sheet under the wings or the
fancy GRP/Plastic shields will remove the problem on any wing.

My personal choice is one to annoy the purist!- the body panels are
mainly alloy, except the cowl, scuttle and bonnet (hood), the wings are
GRP, steel wings can cost a fortune to repair a minor dent, I use my car
to get to work, so I cannot afford to be precious about it.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str