Fuel return line

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel return line
From: deepster@VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 96 04:20:57 EDT
Hi people, my name is Pradeep Vasudev (Deep for short) and I am in the South
of England (Portsmouth).  I have been subscribing to this forum for about a
year (in a more passive mode), and it has been both interesting and useful.
The time has now come for me to take a more active role, fueled by a need for
help.

I am the proud owner of a 1982 4/4 with a Kent/Ford crossflow engine and a
Weber dual downdraft carb.  I have run into a problem with the fuel return line
from the carb to the fuel tank.  The line running back is about 1/4 in. OD
black plastic and it mates with the carb. that is closer to 3/8 in OD.  The
problem is that the rubber fitting that adapts between these two has cracked
and I cannot find a replacement.

I have called the Morgan works, Melvyn Rutter and neither have it.  I will be
trying a Weber dealer today.  I really don't want to run a whole new line back
unless I have to.  I have the following queries:

1.  Why do we have a return line and can I plug it?
2.  Any ideas as to where I can get such a part?
3.  If I run a new line is it alright to run a larger hose or will this cause
    a problem?

Also, while we're at it, can anyone point me in the right direction for a new
free-flow style pancake air filter.  I know K&H do a range of them, but not
which one would work best in terms of clearance to the bonnet, as well as
working with my carb. (think its a DG 32/36 can't read the number the way its
installed).

Thanks for the help,

Deep

Deepster@vnet.ibm.com