Re: Fuel return line

To: deepster@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject: Re: Fuel return line
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:26:41 +0100
deepster@VNET.IBM.COM writes

Snip

>I am the proud owner of a 1982 4/4 with a Kent/Ford crossflow engine and a
>Weber dual downdraft carb.  I have run into a problem with the fuel return line
>from the carb to the fuel tank.  The line running back is about 1/4 in. OD
>black plastic and it mates with the carb. that is closer to 3/8 in OD.  The
>problem is that the rubber fitting that adapts between these two has cracked
>and I cannot find a replacement.

Snip

>1.  Why do we have a return line and can I plug it?
>2.  Any ideas as to where I can get such a part?
>3.  If I run a new line is it alright to run a larger hose or will this cause
>    a problem?
>
>Also, while we're at it, can anyone point me in the right direction for a new
>free-flow style pancake air filter.  I know K&H do a range of them, but not
>which one would work best in terms of clearance to the bonnet, as well as
>working with my carb. (think its a DG 32/36 can't read the number the way its
>installed).

1. The fuel pump provides excess fuel to the carb. The surplus is
returned to the tank via the return pipe. This flow of cooler fuel also
helps reduce the effects of vapourisation and the attendant power
hiccups!- plugging it is not a good idea.
2. The Weber supplier should be able to help, otherwise try the Ford
main agent, a big parts factor or sleeve it with some larger diameter
fuel pipe.
3. If you redo the pipe, use the best pipe you can find, so long as you
can fix the tank, fuel pump and carb ends any diameter will do.

Like another of your respondants, I use an ITG foam filter and would
recommend it. The K&N filter is OK, but the baseplates tend to crack
with the vibrations. Most of the racing boys use foam filters! My local
custom parts shop sells them, so I asked for a recommendation and they
were most helpful.

--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str