Morgan Restoration

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Morgan Restoration
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 20 Oct 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Rudy and I have been corresponding regarding  his search for a Morgan.
to restore.  Below is  a excerpt of one of my notes to him regarding my
experience with Morgans.  While writing it I realized my experience is
only with Morgans which have spent most of their live in  the southwest
part of the USA and might not apply to other parts of the world.
Your thoughts and experiences are solicited

( I'm going to post the following part of this note to the list to see
if the experience in other parts of the country (world) is the same as
Texas)

I ve found Morgans to be the opposite o most other British cars. When I
was shopping for a MGBGT  my major concern was if the basic body was
sound (rust  free).  I figured I could always pick up a fender, bonnet
or door if needed.  A good body as a base, and repair or replace
everything else as needed.

With a Morgan the body tub is usually the most abused part. Here in
Texas, rust is not a big problem, but wood rot is very prevalent. Most
of the Morgans I've seen do not have a lot of rust except along the
bottom of the body tub where the wood has held the moisture causing the
rot and rusting the panel in the process,   Major areas are between the
rear fender and front door posts usually about 3 to 4 inches high.
  A Morgan which has solid wood   is generally considered a" driver" and
will be in the 7 to 15,000 dollar range.
  I've never seem a Morgan which had a good tub but really bad fenders.
If I did I would not consider buying it since the fenders,  are very
expensive and fitting a new fender(wing) to a Morgan is a major affair
since it has to be cut to fit and comes in very rough form.
So while with other cars you look for a good tub and replace everything
around it , with a Morgan you accept that a class 4 car will require a
new tub and insure that fenders, bonnets etc are all good.

Having said that I will say there is one Morgan in Dallas which had  a
rusty chassis ,fenders and body tub. The car had lived most of its life
in England and by the looks of it was the first  car to drive across the
channel sans tunnel. Other  than that one car most have been rust free
except for the tub.
Thus based on my experience here in Texas , figure on replacing the body
Tub on Morgan which sells for less than 7,000 dollars.
I would be interested in what others have found in regard to
restorations.

Bob Nogueira.