Year 2000 (no lbc content)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Year 2000 (no lbc content)
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:05:08 -0500
Hey gang!

  Don't know how many of you know about the year 2000 problem and
all the computers.  But as we get closer to the year 2000 the
problem gets bigger and bigger.

  Already, GM as admitted that some of their cars will cease to
run as of Jan 1, 2000 and they don't know what they are going to
do about it.

  Recently, an the owner of a Heating and Air Cconditioning company was
quoted as saying that many heating and AC systems
will quit working.  When asked about his problem, he said "it
my customers problems".

  Anyway, I was playing around with my 2 year old machine tonight and found
that I too will have problems:

  a. If the date and time are set to 12/31/99 11:59pm
     when the clock rolls over, it correctly displays
     01/01/2000 00:01am.  However, if I turn off the
     computer and turn it back on, I get a date and
     time of 01/01/1980.

  b. If I write a file to disk before rebooting the date
     on that file is 01/01/00.

I have composed an e-mail to the manufacture of the computer in
hopes of getting it resolved.  Unfortunately, my hopes are not
high.

I used my last computer for 16 years and I hope to get at least
8 more years out of this one.  Since my 2 sons will be going off
to college in 1 and 4 years respectively, they will be getting the
new computers.

Anyway, I thought I'd bring the problem to you attention incase
you weren't aware of it.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!