Re: Ignition Switch

To: tigermot@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Stuart Hawkins), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition Switch
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:46:42 -0500
At 08:51 AM 11/11/96 +1100, Stuart Hawkins wrote:

> I have a 1972 4/4 1600.  A few days ago the starter refused to work
> and I have tracked the problem to the ignition switch. There is a
> small barrel-shaped switch with the electrical connections, attached
> to the end of the mechanism on the steering column and held in place
> by two small Phillips head set screws.
> Using a screwdriver in the socket of the barrel-shapped switch, I
> can activate the starter, so there is no problem with the solenoid
> or the electrical connections. It appears to be wear in the switch
> mechanism actuated by the ignition key. I cannot see how to
> remove or service this unit as the attachments look as if they
> might have to be drilled out.  The Autobooks Owner's Workshop Manual
> #796 has nothing on the topic.
>>Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Stuart,

  I haven't worked on a 74 vintage Morgan so I don't know exactly
what the steering col. and ign. switch look like.  However, I do
have a 77 Spit. So I'll assume that what you have is something
similar to the Spit.

About that time frame, most manuf. changed to the col. mount ign.
switch.  They are held in place with shear bolts.  The bolt is
tightened until the head shears off.  What's left looks almost like
it was pop rivited in with a very big pop rivit.  To remove these
bolts to drop the steering col, you must drill out the bolts and
back the out with an EZ out.

Don't know if you have been up on the Morgan Web page at:
http://www.team.net/www/morgan
We have a libruary listing of various tech. book up there.  I would
suggest you look around in used or discount book stores and try to
find a repair manual for some other car (Spit, MGB etc) of that era.
Since Morgan uses so many items from other cars, there is no ONE
book that contains it all.  The auto book you have is a start.
Since you have a 4/4 I'd find another book that contained info no
your engine.  I have the Cortina work shop manual for the engine
stuff, a TR3 shop manual for most of the electrical stuff, and
Shop manuals for several others like the Spitfire, Volvo P1800, etc
that I find myself looking through from time to time.

Hope this helps.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!