BOUNCE morgans: Non-member submission from [BradFarr@aol.com]

To: morgans
Subject: BOUNCE morgans: Non-member submission from [BradFarr@aol.com]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:55:46 -0700 (MST)
     From: BradFarr@aol.com
     Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 17:56:45 -0500
     Subject: Brake Pads

Several weeks ago, my Morgan ('95 +8) began to pull sharply to the left under
braking. I looked under the front of the car and found a plastic shopping bag
wrapped around the spring. When I had used the one-shot oiler (yes, even the
"modern" Morgans still have the one-shot suspension oiler) oil coated the
plastic, and the plastic fouled the brake disc. I washed the disc, caliper,
and pads (in place) with water and Simple Green. The car no longer pulls to
the left under braking.

My Question:
Should I replace the pads anyway? I've always heard that if pads are
contaminated with oil there is no way to clean them, and they must be
replaced. But if the car brakes evenly, are they OK? Or is my
seat-of-the-pants evaluation too crude to detect still dirty pads?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Brad Farr
farr@smi.stanford.edu