Plus 8 exhaust

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Plus 8 exhaust
From: go_zen@ix.netcom.com (LAWRENCE N GUZIN )
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 21:35:05 -0800
Hey now! I have been owner of "Gwenda" since 1993, a Tudor-red
1988 Plus 8 roadster, serial R9928, Isis propane-powered, .  Love my
Mog, but always thought the exhaust note was non-existent on jaunts up
California's Highway 1.  The stock exhaust system is a single pipe
system, non-catalyzed, and includes a muffler and two resonators.  (The
rear resonator was apparently removed by the original owner.)  I was
recently given a Borla stainless steel muffler, model 40686, with a 2
1/2" inlet and outlet.  Any thoughts on whether I can remove the front
resonator and simply install the Borla muffler (expanding the stock 2"
pipe at the inlet and outlet and clamping it to the Borla).
Alternatively, I have considered having a 2" stainless exhaust pipe
fabricated by a local muffler shop, in place of the stock steel pipe,
again expanding it at the inlet and outlet and welding it to the Borla.
Any suggestions where to obtain a stainless steel flange to mate to the
flange at the tail of the manifold and weld to the stainless steel
exhaust pipe?  What function do the two springs serve, located near the
tail of the manifold?  By using the Borla alone, without the two
resonators, is there any danger of burning exhaust valves?  Any further
suggestions or thoughts would be welcome.  I have also owned "Rorty"
since 1973, my beloved tan/BRG 1958 Series II 4/4, and have been a
member of the Morgan Plus 4 Club (of Southern California).  Thank you
to all of the Moggers who have participated in this cooperative Morgan
conference. Larry Guzin