Re: up-rating the ford mill

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: up-rating the ford mill
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 17:12:13 -0800
William Zehring wrote:

> Fellow fiends:
>
> Bob N. mentions an article on uping the horse power of the ford mill.  I
> have recently purchased and skimmed a book on that subject and would be
> happy to pass the reference on to other 4/4 owners interested in the
> subject.  Its British author (whose name escapes me) writes a good text,
> similar in organization to the like text on the MGB B-series engine (for
> those of you, like me, hopelessly addicted to pushrod 4-bangers).  While
> not argued for the B engine, the first step in uping the ford mill is
> moving to the 1600 x-flow iteration.  Subsequent tweeks include
> carburation and cam/rocker improvements, along with porting etc.  The
> amazing thing is that upwards of 130 hp can be wrung from the tiny little
> thing, tho in this final autocross/racing format it is not a streetable
> arrangement (I suspect it doesn't "idle" smoothly under 2500 rpm).  So, I
> am forced to concede that there is, indeed, some wisdom in the old saw
> that there is no substitute for cubic inches.  I suspect that a "fast
> road" ford 1600 x-flow could still provide in the 100 hp range, if not
> more.  This is a big improvement over the book value 60-something in my
> 1500 side-flow (bless its pointed little head).
>
> Having said that, the upshot is that the bottom end of the ford engine is
> very strong and little need be done to it apart from getting fancy with
> crank ballance or higher quality metals.  Most of the work goes into the
> head and the induction and cam profiles and timing.  Chapman proved this
> when he took the twink to victory in F1 low these many years ago.
>
> Ah, racing improves the breed!
>
> All of this chatter leads me to the following: I would be gratful if
> anyone who catches wind of a 1600 x-flow engine for sale to think of me.
> I know I've brought this subject up before, but I'm in a more serious
> frame of mind for the swap and want to start scoping out for the engine.
> Question:  what american fords had this engine (so I can hunt in some
> bone yards)?  Pinto?  which year?  Dave Bean will sell a ready-to-go
> formula ford mill for under 2k.  I'm not ready for that yet.  That is to say:
> I'm itching for a project (to get me out of the house) and a rebuild/swap
> with my trusty 1500 side-flow has much appeal.
>
> Thanks to you all in advance!
>
> Will Zehring
> home: 609-397-2726Will-there are a few likely junkyard candidates,although
>most are now
over 25 years old.1)1971 Pinto 1600; only used one year before being
replaced with the SOHC 2000. 2)1971 Mercury Capri-same story 3)1968-1969
Ford Cortinas.I owned one of these while attending Wayne State in Detroit
in 1972, and I can assure you that  NOBODY at Ford wanted anything to do
with replacement parts-hence, I'm sure they still exist in
junkyards,having been scrapped for want of some minor part.Still didn't
learn my lesson, and I drive a 4/4 1600.4)Ford Fiesta 1977-80.I
understand the block works, but the manifolds are different owing to the
transverse FWD mounting.
        Anecdote to make you weep:About 1985, Consolidated Intl. in
Columbus,OH.(the guys who bought all the DeLorean parts)were advertising
new,crated, complete Kent 1600's they had bought from a defunct kit-car
mfr.For $399,complete with carbs,exhaust manifold,etc.When I called after
buying my 4/4, I was told they had just been sold to Saudi Arabia to run
water pumping equipment.AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!
        Jeff Smith
        1968 4/4 1600