RE: Funny Noises

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Funny Noises
From: apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us (Armando Picciotto)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 17:28:06 -0800
David,
My TR3 water pump doesn't have a grease fitting either, and it bothered
me until I saw several Mogs like mine also without water pump fittings.
Tracing the noise can be a pain.  What I found extremely helpful is a
short piece of hose you can use to listen with.  Cover up your other ear
with an ear plug and move the hose around to pinpoint the noise.  I
traced mine to the generator, but I could have sworn it came from the
pump.  I exchanged the genearator (and that's quite a story right
there), and no more noise.  JC Whitney also sells an engine stethoscope
for five bucks, and I got one recently.  It's really great for locating
engine noises, though the local car parts stores thought I was nuts when
I asked for one (playing doctor with your engine?).  You may also want
to check the obvious, the clearance between the fan belt and the fan
itself.  I noticed that in TR engines with the original pump, the fan is
farther from the pulley.  My fan blades ALMOST touch the belt, which
makes me nervous but seems to be OK.  One last thing.  I heard a noise
like the one you describe just before my old fan belt broke.  Aparently,
a piece of the belt came loose and was hitting something as it went
around.  Good luck!

Armando Picciotto
'63 +4