Nails, tacks, or screws?

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Nails, tacks, or screws?
From: Bill Yarborough <blyarb@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:27:26 -0500
Greetings!

I am in the final (yeah, right!) stages of a 4-year ground up restoration
of my 1961 +4.  A significant aspect of the process was the purchase of a
brand new tub (all the wood and most of the sheet metal other than the
wings and bonnet)  and a new firewall from the factory.  Both were badly
rotted or rusted.

Now I'm ready to attach the rear panel to the wood along the back and the
firewall to the wood at the front.  My question is, what is the best/right
fastener to use here?  There are no holes yet in the edge of the firewall
or the rear panel, and I plan to use a punch to make them neatly rather
than drilling them.  When I disammbled this car in the spring of 1993,
these locations were attached with a variety of screws of different
materials and sizes and tacks.  I'm leaning toward brass screws, but there
must be a good reason why that's not what was used before.  Advice??!!

TIA

Bill Yarborough