Plate at back chassis

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Plate at back chassis
From: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat)
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:51:15 -0400
Dear Subscribers,

        You may recall my message of last week concerning  a gap between
chassis and body.  Well, this week I managed to straighten the chassis.  I
have contemplated reinforcing  this area of the chassis with a welded
plate.  I have been told that a weld in this area could weaken the steel by
20 - 30%.  If I do not weld a plate, because of the slight dimple in the
metal and the possibility of a softer than original grade of steel (chassis
was made in U.S.), the chassis may bend once again when the car is driven.

     Has anyone out  there experienced bending of a new chassis?  Has
anyone had plates welded onto a new chassis?  If so, what were the longterm
results?   Is there any particular type of weld that would be least
invasive to the metal strength?

I would be interested to know of your experience.  Thanks.

Regards,  David