Rudge hubs

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rudge hubs
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 08:42:32 +1000
Hi all,

I am having trouble with my wire wheels. The things keep loosening ever so
slightly. Just enough to give about 1/8" movement at the wheel rim. To stop
this the spinners have to be belted pretty hard after which they loosen the
first time the brakes are applied.

Before anyone states the obvious the hubs ARE fitted to the correct sides
of the car.

The tapers on the front hubs have been machined and the rear hubs are new,
so I guess it could be the tapers on the wheels or the spinners. Is it
reasonable to have the wheel centres machined? Do spinners wear out over
time?

The car (1973 4/4)is driven often and hard both in local competition and
daily to and from work. Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve Moore

Dr. Stephen Moore
CSIRO Tropical Agriculture