Re: tin worm

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tin worm
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:41:39 -0400
At 09:33 AM 1/8/97 -0500, William Zehring wrote:

> I was discouraged to find a couple of paint blisters (maybe a
> quarter-inch in diameter) in the lower rear area of both doors....
> Getting around to the question: is there something I can do at this
> stage to stall the advancement of this pinhole rust?  Does this call
> for new wood on the doors?  Any advice?

Will,

  Sorry it's taken me sooo long to reply, but I've been pretty
busy lately.

  What has probably happening is that water has gotten into where the
door skin is bend over the metal that holds it to the wood and started
the rust, and possibly rot.

  How to fix it.  Take a sander and sand down the area until the paint
is off and you have about 2" of bare metal all around the rust area.
Look closely at the rust, is there a hole?  If so you will have to cut
the metal back until you have good metal (no rust).  At that point
you should be able to see the wood.  Stick a screwdriver into it and
see if it is really rotted.  If the screwdriver goes easily into the
wood, then it is rotting.  You have a couple options at that point.
I'd look at trying to dig as much of the rotten wood out with a
screwdriver.  Then I'd use the West System epoxy with a little filler
to patch the hole in the wood.  Then use some bondo (I'd probably
use Dynaglass) to fix the hole in the sheet metal.  (You could have
a piece of metal MIG welded into the hole, but I think bondo will
do in this case.)  Finally prime and paint.

  If you are really into pain, you could look at reskinning the door.

  If you got some money burning a hole in your pocket, the replace the
entire door.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!