A low-cost headlamp switch replacement

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A low-cost headlamp switch replacement
From: "Noah L. Anglin" <nlaark@hooked.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:26:11 -0700
The headlamp switch on my trusty +4 finally "went south".

I figured there were two possible solutions, purchase a new one or take
the old one apart and "fix it".

The first alternative was to purchase a new one; that is, until I found
out the price of a new headlamp switch from "Morgan part sources". The
price was in the $70 to $80 price range which seemed a little high.  so

The second alternative was to take the old one apart.  I sort of got it
partially apart and then it literally "broke apart".  So much for my two
"solutions".

I dropped by my local "Grand Auto" parts store and found a "Universal
Headlamp Switch  (fused)" that had the right number of connections and
such.   CALTERM Pt# 42240, 15 Amp, 12 Volt for $4.95.  It fits and it
works.  The only "work" was adapting the "Morgan black pull button" from
the old switch which turned out to be fairly simple, plugging the hex
shaped opening in the button with a piece of hex stock and drilling and
tapping a #10-24 thread into it (the thread size on the shaft of the new
switch).

In appearance, it looks stock, works great, and I did not have to take a
loan out to buy it.

Hope this is of interest for anyone needing a new headlamp switch.

Best regards,
              Noah Anglin,  '68 +4, 4-seater