Re: Driving Position follow-up

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Driving Position follow-up
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 97 11:19:45 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

> Date: Tuesday, 06-May-97 07:42 PM
>
> From: John T. Blair            \ Internet:    (jblair@exis.net)

> >....It's this new wrinkle of avoiding leaning my knee on the shift
extender
> >that has me twisting into new positions.  My pedals are attached to the
> >floor, so I don't fully understand the concept of getting a foot "under"
> >them.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Joe D
>
> Bob,
>
>   The 4/4's have a single metal tube with an AL. cap at each end.  The AL
cap is very crude, simply a "D" shaped of AL, the hole in the "D" is where
the pipe  goes, the flat part of the "D" has 2 studs in it that go through
the front   horixzontal stringer.  2 nuts on the outside of the  firewall
hold the assembly  in place.  The peddles have a larger dia. tube welded to
them and they slide  over the single rod.  There is one spacer  that goes
between the brake and the clutch so they don't interfeer with each other.

> It is amaising how different the +4 and the 4/4s are and yet how similar
they
> are.
>
> John

I don't want to lead you 4/4 guys astray so...... the Plus 4 has basically
the same petal arrangement as the 4/4 except the clutch has a manual linkage
. The clutch petal is welded to the tube so it turns when the petal is
depressed ( the aly blocks are the bushings for the tube,). The tube extends
into the transmission tunnel and has a lever on the end which connects t the
clutch linkage.
 My petals arms are 4 inches apart and the brake petal sits 6 inches off the
firewall while the clutch petal sits 7 1/2 inches off the firewall. This
offset provides just enough room for me to thread my foot between the two
petals.
On a related petal note,  I once had a problem in the middle of nowhere with
the brakes refusing to disengage. Had the brakes  half torn down on the side
of the road when I found the problem to be a pebble had lodge between the
brake petal zerk fitting and the floor, preventing the petal from fully
returning . This same problem occurred later and my fix was to place a small
piece of foam under the zerk fitting to keep the area clear.

Bob Nogueira