Re: Stainless Steel

To: jblair@exis.net
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel
From: CTDreher@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:47:10 -0400 (EDT)
Hi John,

<<   Most of the bolts can be changed to SAE with out rethreading anything.
 Check out the Nuts & bolts list one SOL's  Morgan Web page.  Anything that
 threaded holse on the engine, xmission, or rear end should be left alone.
 (Note:  Most of those holes are SAE any way)>>

The tranny on a trike has many threaded holdes for studs, and they are all
BSW.  SAE won't go, not only because of thread pitch but also because there
AREN'T SAE threads that match!

Otherwise, yes, I've already converted most of the "bolt on" items to SAE
threads, since all I'm matching is diameter.  I'm using self-locking ("nyloc"
) nuts everywhere.

<<One other point.  Be carefull of where you uses Stainless.  Don't use it
 on ANY suspension related item, such as the rear shock mounting plates.>>
Agreed.  I restored a T120R Triumph motorcycle using stainless, including the
shock bolts.  Nothing broke but I was amazed by the wear latter when I pulled
it apart.  Some 3/8 bolts had necked-down by 1/8 inch at wear-points.

 - Carl