Clutch

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch
From: Les Burkholder <les_burkholder@sunshine.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:12:03 -0700
Have been watching this page with interest for some time now.    I have
a little problem I would like to have some input on.

I have a 1969 4/4  4 seater which I rebuilt from the ground up two years
ago.  This included new tub, fire wall, rear fenders, front suspension,
(spindles, bearings, kingpins etc.), rear suspension (tube shocks
conversion,  same as on the +8) all purchased from the factory.  There
is a new frame, rad, rebuilt rear end, and transmission, new clutch and
throwout bearing and new upholstery.   So you ask what is original?
Well, not much.

This is my problem.   A month a go, I was  gradually having trouble
getting into first and reverse gears.   As time went on this became more
of a problem.

This is what I have done.
        -   Adjusted the travel on the master cylinder.  (This worked for a
while)
        -   Bled the system.  (This also worked for a while)
        -   Rebuilt the master and slave cylinder with new parts and bled the
system.
        -   Replaced hydraulic line from reservoir to master.
        -   Have looked in where the fork operates the throwout bearing and the
bearing seems to be  moving  OK.

As a result I now find,
        -   The clutch peddle, after being adjusted for travel is at the
maximum outward thread  of the rod, and the peddle is beyond the brake
peddle by about 2 inches.  This means the peddle is pivoted  down closer
to the floor when fully released.
        -  When you are in first gear,  release the clutch,  the peddle just
moves a fraction when the car starts to move.
        -  For some reason I am not getting the proper travel to operate the
clutch.

Before I start to pull the engine and tranny, I wonder if I could get
some input.  More heads are better than one, and there may be something
obvious that I am not seeing, or have overlooked.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Les Burkholder
Gibsons,  B.C.  Canada