Re: Clutch

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:10:27 -0400
At 11:12 AM 6/30/97 -0700, Les Burkholder wrote:
>.....This is my problem.   A month a go, I was  gradually having trouble
>getting into first and reverse gears.   As time went on this became more
>of a problem.
>
>This is what I have done.
>       -   Adjusted the travel on the master cylinder.  (This worked for a
>          while)
>       -   Bled the system.  (This also worked for a while)
>       -   Rebuilt the master and slave cylinder with new parts and bled the
>          system.
>       -   Replaced hydraulic line from reservoir to master.
>       -   Have looked in where the fork operates the throwout bearing and
>          the bearing seems to be  moving  OK.

Les,

   For starters, it sounds like you hit all the major easy stuff, rebuild
master cyl & slave cyl.  I'd readjust the pedal back down to about even
with the brake pedal.

   You didn't mention the rod that goes from the slave cyl. to the release
fork.  It should be threaded with a nut that fits into the release fork.
This is where you should adjust the clutch play.  With the clutch pedal
released there should be about 1/8" play in the rod.  If the rod has no
play, you will in effect be riding the clutch and it will possibly slip.
If there is too much play, then the clutch pedal will have to be mashed
all the way to the floor before the clutch starts to disengage, and as soon
as you start to let the pedal out, the clutch will engage.

  If you've tried this, or this doesn't work, it's possibly that you got
a bad throw out bearing or a bad clutch plate.  I've had problems on my
Volvo P1800 with both a bad throw out bearing and a bad clutch plate.  Had
to pull the xmission down 3 times to get the right parts in.So,

  One other possiblity, did the clutch plate get installed correctly?
There is a right and wrong way to put the in.  According to the shop
manual, the "hub" should be away from the engine.  Looking up in my TR3
manual, this should translate to the springs should be away from the engine.

Hope this helps

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire