Re Clutch

To: Jim Walters <bristol@coastnet.com>
Subject: Re Clutch
From: Les Burkholder <les_burkholder@sunshine.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 11:54:14 -0700
Jim, after receiving your note re my clutch problems, I heard from my
nephew (Ford Dealer) who has just returned drooling      from Mulvern.  (he
has a 70 +4).  I mentioned to him what you had said re the fingers of
the pressure plate.  Apparently they have had all kinds of trouble with
rebuilt clutches and pressure plates not standing up, that it is now
standard procedure to replace them with new.

I am presently torn between working on the Morgan and my friends 1946
Aircoupe. Don’t know if you know  the Aircoupe?  Twin rudder, single
engine, tryke gear, no luggage space, low wing aircraft, or the Morgan
of the air.  Actually the Morgan has more luggage and seating space.  I
suggested (with tougue in cheek) that we mount a luggage rack on the
outside of the aircraft, behind the canopy.  This went over like a lead
baloon.   We are trying to get it ready to fly from Vancouver B.C.  to
Oshkosh, Wisconsin,  (Air Show), then on to Charlottetown Prince Edward
Island, and on to St. John, Newfoundland if the weather and time
prevail.  This means I may not get back to the Morgan until late August.

My first experience with English cars was when I purchased, back when, a
year old 51 Morris Minor, then 1954 TF (year old at the time), new 57
TR3, then in late 61,  I ordered a Morgan Drophead and took delivery in
June in Windsor Ontario.  The  first car was delivered to the docks
where it was put into a sling and as they were raising it to the deck of
the freighter,  the sling let go and the car fell to the dock,
apparently bounced a couple of times and went into the water between the
ship and dock.  Had a nice letter from the factory, and in one month I
was driving a new Morgan.  I guess someone next in line was put on
hold.  I wish that I had kept the DH, but when we were living in
Longbeach, California, (for 3.5 years) we sold it before moving back to
Canada.

Many thanks to you and John for your input.  This is a great system.

Les