Salsibury 7HA Rear Axle on Mog +4 - Advice needed

To: "Mogs." <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Salsibury 7HA Rear Axle on Mog +4 - Advice needed
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 09:05:28 -0700
The right rear axle tube on my 1963 Morgan +4 is loose where it stubs
into the Differential housing.  The two spot welds which held it in
place have broken.  Since it now can twist a couple of degrees and
wiggle up and down (giving me IRS!) it also is leaking from this joint.
I have the entire axle out of the car and will take it to a shop next
week.

My question is how best to repair it.  If I just re-do the spot welds, I
could try to seal the joint with some type of sealer/caulk.  Otherwise I
could weld a bead around the tube/housing joint locking and sealing the
joint in one step.

Anyone have any advise on this?

I'm also concerned that the axle on this side has been weakened by this
motion.  Are replacement axles available for this rear end? My car has
wire wheels.

This has been a classic example of "project escalation".  It all started
when I decided to get new wire wheels and tires for the +4 which have
been LONG over do.  I had been nursing the old ones for a couple of
seasons.  With new wheels I thought the I better tend to the brakes,
which were equal to the old wheels (WEAK).  And, while at the front end
doing the brakes, why not fit decambering plates to the front
suspension.  They would compliment the new radial tires.  Well with the
brakes and suspension (and rear axle) on their way to being fit and
trim, I will have to turn to the Carbs and re-bush the throttle shafts.
I can't have a motor that won't idle...

George Gerth
ggerth@west.net
63 +4