Re: hierarchy of waving.

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: hierarchy of waving.
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:44:58 -0400
At 08:36 AM 7/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Fellow mog-o-philes:
>
>:  I noticed something else on my test drive having to
>do with the hierarchy of waving.  This is a topic that poses an seemingly
>endless number of puzzles to me.  Who deigns to wave to whom?  I've spoken
>at length on the wave relationship between MG, Jag, Mog, and TR owners and
>won't go into it here.  I was surprised to discover motorcyclists will wave
>at Mog drivers.  I've never been waved at by a motorcycle driver when in
>any other lbc, but I have *three* times now in the Mog.  Once I even
>received a hearty 'thumbs up!' from a fellow on a freeway in Deeeeetroit.
>Can someone suggest why?  As to that TD, what can I say?  I was filled with
>generosity, what with my newly shimmyless Mog and the other fellow only has
>a TD, after all, and... well...  what the heck!

Re:     hierarchy of waving

Years ago I recall reading an article by, I believe, Tom McCahill (sp) in
Mechanix Illustrated or one of those publications I read with fervor as a
youth, and his observations of the tradition of waving, sports car to sports
car.   Now, nearly forty (yeeks! where did the time go) years later, when I
finally get my chance to drive an LBC, do selected portions come back. =20

I was tooling along a local road a few weeks ago when an MG driver waved.  I
was stunned and instantly remembered that article.  Now, whenever I see a
low slung car coming down the road, I am prepared to wave =85 but=
 considering
the rough ride characteristics and the wind in my watering eyes =85 I waved=
 at
a Miata the other day.  Not that there is anything wrong with that=85 but=
 was
it proper protocol? =20

Will Z. suggests the Mog is the superior vehicle, and implies should only
"return the wave".   Perhaps that right is only for the DHC "snob-mog."
Seems a bit stuffy to me.  But, since I=92m so new at this, perhaps someone
with more experience in lbc manners might like to outline the tradition.

Frankly, here in Ohio, everyone is so friendly we wave a lot anyway.

Gary
Grafton, OH USA

1991 +8

=20