front end (conclusion?)

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: front end (conclusion?)
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:36:48 -0400
Fellow mog-o-philes:

With the fine summer weather we've been having here in NJ the grass is all
dead now, so I didn't need to cut it, so... I had some spare time this
weekend to work on me Mog.  I completed the front end rebuild without
event, other than a rather stupid accident I had involving a hydraulic
floor jack, the front bumper of the car and an area of skin about an inch
above my right knee cap (an event which I won't go into as it will simply
reveal my true nature as a clutz).  Have no fear, both the car and my knee
are fine; its my sense of self worth that is what is really bruised.

It was a real pleasure for me to wrap this job up and take the old dear out
for a test drive.  All is well.  Though my front end shimmy is not
completely eradicated, it is diminished by a great deal, such that cruising
in the 50-65 mph range doesn't rattle my eyeballs like it did before.
Those kingpins NEEDED attention.  I now think I understand the workings of
the mog front end.

Two things I noticed that I'd appreciate comment on:
--the steering seems a tad stiffer after reassembly
--the car doesn't easily return to straight ahead forward motion after a
turn, like it used to.

I wonder if both of these observations aren't related and if I need to
check toe in (what ever that is).

Regardless, as the song goes, I'm on the road again.  Next stop: that leak
in the steering box.  Heck, I was feeling so good about my handy work that
I even waived at a guy in a TD!

Will Zehring

p.s.  The list has been shockingly quiet this past few weeks, and as Bob N.
is want to point out, I DO suffer withdrawals.  Therefore, I wish to
discuss the following:  I noticed something else on my test drive having to
do with the hierarchy of waving.  This is a topic that poses an seemingly
endless number of puzzles to me.  Who deigns to wave to whom?  I've spoken
at length on the wave relationship between MG, Jag, Mog, and TR owners and
won't go into it here.  I was surprised to discover motorcyclists will wave
at Mog drivers.  I've never been waved at by a motorcycle driver when in
any other lbc, but I have *three* times now in the Mog.  Once I even
received a hearty 'thumbs up!' from a fellow on a freeway in Deeeeetroit.
Can someone suggest why?  As to that TD, what can I say?  I was filled with
generosity, what with my newly shimmyless Mog and the other fellow only has
a TD, after all, and... well...  what the heck!