waving and MOG97

To: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Subject: waving and MOG97
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:16:11 +0100
"Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com> writes

>Mog 97 was in the UK last weekend.  If no-one else posts a report I will
>later this week, but it would take too long now  (and my company expects
>some work from me).

MOG'97 happened last weekend at Lansdown, Bath, with a mixture of
weather and one or two rather odd sights.

Those who went down on the Thursday or Friday told of wonderous days of
good weather and fine driving, those like myself arrived at the campsite
on Saturday lunchtime, after being soaked twice on the way down, found
the cloudbase below the level of the field, half a gale blowing and no
tents visable from the entrance. Getting the tent up was a soggy
experience and a trip to find fish, chips and peas was a restorative
necessity. Evening was spent in the pub or wandering around the camping
field looking at the cars there and talking to other like minded car
lunatics. Highlights were an MX series 3 wheeler with a kettle as a
bonnet mascot- a gift from a trip to Ireland and the bane of the owners
life as he had spent ages detailing the engine and most comments were on
the mascot, lots of smart series Is, and some well used cars with a
"fine patina". My co-travellers favourite was a BDA engined hill climb
special for UKP8000ish with trick suspension, considerable space framing
and a nice used appeal. A number of apparitions in togas punctuated the
night as the big do was held in the marquee- a figure in full roman
dress starting the generator for the lights was an incongruous sight!

After rain in the night, disjointed singing from across the field and
dawn comming much too early, Sunday's weather was much better, so after
a necessary hot shower, toasted sandwich and signing on for the gymkana,
we went on one of the scenic runs and enjoyed a hurtle around the
countryside, an exceptional cream tea from the National Trust and a
rapid and anxious return to the event field for our run in the gymkana.

The less said about the gymkana run the better! two dead cones and a
broken post tell too many stories about my inexperience in this odd form
of motorsport- I'll be back! I didn't win or come last so I'll await the
results in Miscellany.

A further wander around the trade stands led me to update my Morgan book
collection- a floppy back album of photographs from Ken Hill and a book
called "Morgans to 1997, a collectors guide" and a whince at the UK
dealers car prices, UKP20000 seemed to be a minimum.

Next year has two possibilities, the Isle of Man or HALMOG. Although the
promoters of the Isle of Man reckon it can be done cheaply, those used
to the TT or Isle of Man GP suggest that visitors are sitting ducks.
HALMOG- organised by a committee including Melvyn Rutter looks an eaiser
option, my aunt is less than 10 miles from the site!

We left just after three for the 150 mile drive home, which required
much waving as lots of suitable vehicles passed- lots of pre-war
vauxhalls, battered MG Midgets, AJS and Triumph motorcycles, XKEs,
XK120s, a XK150, a special I have no idea about and some open top kit
cars, Marlin, Dutton and GTM.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4