Re: Windshield replacement

To: "Fred H. Birkbeck" <Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au>
Subject: Re: Windshield replacement
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:31:50 +0100
"Fred H. Birkbeck" <Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au> writes

>I have now replaced 3 windshields in my '51 Plus 4, and this last one has
>cracked again (through the drilled hole in the windscreen wiper mount & right
>the top of the screen).
Snip

>The windscreen installer used laminated "shatterproof" type glass and he
>drilled
>holes in the glass for the windscreen wiper motor mounting bolts.  He also
>used
>silicone windscreen sealant.  Cost $AU90  (about $US50).
>
>I think the laminated glass is is part of the problem but will not know until
>next replacement (soon).  I have been told to use "toughened" glass (not
>laminated) next time.
>Any one like to offer comments?

I am suprised that so many of you seem to be having grief with
windscreens, most of my windscreen problems have been due to rocks
hitting at speed or personal stupidity!

I would be very nervous of using toughened glass as it's crack
resistance is less than laminate and being covered with small glass
shard after a rock strike is not my idea of fun. If you are a racer
under FIA or RAC MSA rules laminate is compulsory.

Most automotive windscreen replacement companies should be able to
replace a screen, certainly in the UK, it hasn't been a problem, but I
would suggest that the following items are considered.

        (i)     Cut the flat sheet carefully to size- fixing screws will
                protrude through the frame, so make sure that the glass
                is cut to clear the screw ends.
        (ii)    Put the right screw in the right hole- there are two
                lengths, the wrong one will press against the edge of
                the glass and cause a crack.
        (iii)   Have the cut screen bevelled off or ground smooth, no
                sharp edges or chips around the edges.
        (iv)    If holes have to be drilled, make sure that the edges of
                the hole get deburred, so cracks don't spread from the
                chips.

--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4