Re: Sunny day in Manitoba

To: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Subject: Re: Sunny day in Manitoba
From: Fred Kuzyk <msccc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 03:53:20 -0700
Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Your comments are right on the mark. I attended a "show & shine" event a
> few weeks ago in Lac du Bonnet, a small village about 25 km by road from
> here.  It was a bright, sunny day, and the cars were mostly of '50's to
> '70's vintage, all pretty well "Detroit Iron" such as a couple of
> Corvettes, a Mustang, '57 Chevvy, T-Bird, a couple of street rods...and
> a competently restored 1921 Model T.  The cars looked neat, the owners
> were proud of them and it brought back a lot of memories.
>
> I wish I could join you guys in Stouffvile, but the distance is simply
> too great.  Hope you have a great day and that the weather cooperates.
>
> Chuck Vandergraaf
> '52 +4, P.2473/V.345.ME
> '87 Olds Custom Cruiser
> '85 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo
> Pinawa, Manitoba, R0E 1L0
> Canada
> vandergraaft@aecl.ca
>
> >----------

Chuck,
Things do seem a lot less complex out in your neck of the country! The
pleasant experience you describe reminds me of a little event in a town
called Grand Valley we went to a number of years ago. Part of a country
fair, this was their first car show. There was a competition on fire
hoses, whereby teams took on the volunteer firefighters - everyone got
soaked. There was a chicken shitting contest ( I won't get into it but a
unique form of wagering! ), and the people were friendly. The spectators
were told that "these cars are valuable so you can't touch them" - and
they very respectful. Somehow, we never made it back & I don't know if
they're still holding it. The way I'm feeling though, I'd like to visit
again. It may not be the same, it may be more organized now, but you
never know! We've gone to a lot of cruise nights, in the "Detroit Iron"
& in the "Moggie". At these & most multi-marque affairs, the Brits are
certainly few in number. It's said that all the LBCs put together make
up  maybe 10% of the entire hobby. The other segments really do some
nice things. If the Ford & Chevy folks overcame their rivalries - watch
out!
        Thanks for the complement. We'll take a rain check on the visit, if
you're ever out this way! Hope the weather co-operates too, but we'll
drive in the rain, on gravel, maybe in the snow....done over 30,000km in
7 seasons, all of it local. Imagine the "clicks" if we had done Morgans
Over America, or The Western Adventure, or the recent Alaska Run?

-Fred Kuzyk
MSCCC