Re: Aluminium alloy bodywork

To: linda.h@virgin.net, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Aluminium alloy bodywork
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 00:10:25 -0400 (EDT)
I am assuming that the bonnet is painted on the outside? If it is and you
want to leave it aluminium inside... I would scrub it off with fine
sandpaper, wet sand it with #320, and apply one of the new aluminium
polishes... "Mother's" is a brand that works well.
The polish is not to really shine the surface, but to protect it. I don't
know what Mother's had in it, but whatever it is- it does prevent oxidation
and is the most tenatious stuff I've ever run across. I used it on my alloy
body- then decided to paint part of it. NOTHING would stick. I wiped with
acetone, naptha, PrepSol, and lacquer thinner. Still the paint would peel off
in sheets. Good protection....

Aluminium panels in race cars are anodized these days to prevent oxidation.
Not something that you can do if it is painted.

I have had lousey luck with the phosphoric acid based "aluminium jelly"
products.

If you want to paint the underside- again- I would sand it- then zinc
chromate primer- then paint.

I am no expert- thats what I would do with my present knowledge- hopefully
others might have easier/better solutions- I'de like to know more too

Fred Sisson