RE: Aluminium alloy bodywork

To: "'Sarah'" <linda.h@virgin.net>,
Subject: RE: Aluminium alloy bodywork
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:14:31 -0400
George,

I would tend to agree with Martin that the coating is most likely
aluminum oxide which forms a protective coating and passivates the
metal.  Removing it would be counterproductive because a new oxide
coating will form almost immediately.  However, you describe the coating
as "powdery" which suggests that, if it is an oxide, it may be the
result of vigorous oxidation.  It could also be another aluminum
compound, created possibly by a reaction with, for example, road salt.

I like Fred Sisson's suggestion; especially since it seems to solve the
problem. What more can one ask!

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4, P.2473/V.345.ME
'85 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo