Re: When Armstrong shocks go bad...

To: TrmpetDave@aol.com, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: When Armstrong shocks go bad...
From: steve@tap.csiro.au (Steve Moore)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:55:00 +1000
> There would be less confusion if we called them hydraulic dampers.
>Of course, on a Morgan, there is not enough travel in the suspesnion to get a
>decent up-and-down bounce going anyhow, showing that Morgans never needed
>hydraulic dampers in the first place!

An interesting premise (the need for dampers at all). Having replaced my
old Armstrong dampers with a set of adjustable gas telescopic units I can
vouch for the desirability of decent shock absorbers. Not only does the car
handle better but the ride has improved to the point where pot-holed roads
(common in the land of OZ) are no longer approached with any trepidation.

The Armstrong shocks are mounted very flat on a Morgan. This means that the
oil level needs to be watched carefully otherwise air can enter the valves,
diminishing their effectiveness. Another improvement is to brace the
mounting plates (a threaded rod across the car from one plate to the other
is one way). I found that the mounting plates were flexing rather than the
lever arms moving in response to the axle movement.

The very best solution is to

        a. Remove the Armstrong units.

        b. Wrap them in greaseproof paper and store them in a box under the
bench.

        c. Fit a telescopic rear shock absorber kit.

This can be done without even drilling a hole anywhere and your spinal
column will love you for it!

Cheers

Steve Moore

Dr. Stephen Moore