Re: When Armstrong shocks go bad...

To: TrmpetDave@aol.com, DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com, Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: When Armstrong shocks go bad...
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:35:31 -0400
At 09:53 PM 8/18/97 -0400, TrmpetDave@aol.com wrote:
>If the top of the  axle and drive shaft are rubbing on structures above them,
>it means the springs are weary, not the Armsrtongs. To test for shock
>function, press down firmly on the corner of the car in question, and let it
>rebound up. Any  more than one oscillation indicates a  deteriorated shock
>absorber. There would be less confusion if we called them hydraulic dampers.
>Of course, on a Morgan, there is not enough travel in the suspesnion to get a
>decent up-and-down bounce going anyhow, showing that Morgans never needed
>hydraulic dampers in the first place!

I read somewhere about Pat Moss running a big Healy rally car with NO Rear
shocks, but with 13 leaf springs. There was enough friction in the springs
to provide the desired damping. She also had a taxicab rear axle for a
lower ratio. Must have felt a little stiff...

My Plus 4 was really stiff until I oiled the rear springs, as recommended
by Fred Sisson. Great improvement in the ride, but I'm going to have to
watch out that road grime doesn't become grinding paste.

Jerry Murphy