Instrument Restoration

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Instrument Restoration
From: JClax5817@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:41:56 -0400 (EDT)
Morgan friends,
     Being new to the wonderful world of Morgan, I need some advice on
restoring the cream instrument faces of my '56 +4. My speedometer and gauge
cluster faces are faded some, I am sure, and have a few blemishes that are
not too obvious. The tachometer face, on the other hand, will definitely need
restoration.
     If I have the tach restored, the cream color will not match the other
instruments, which would dictate restoring the others as well (or should I
care ?). I looked into having all three done, and it is not inexpensive. On
the other hand, the instruments seem to be the focal point of the entire
interior. Restored they would be beautiful, and possibly worth the bucks.
     I think decals are used to restore instrument faces. Is the use of
decals on the faces an "acceptable" restoration? Would I be better to keep
all possible instrument faces original, even if blemished slightly and not
matching the tach face ? Would the use of decals de-value the gauges and the
car ? How long do these decals last?
     My restoration objective is a nice car at reasonable cost; not
necessarily a show car. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jack Claxton
'56 +4 4 seater