Re: changing paper filters

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: changing paper filters
From: CobMeister@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:48:34 -0400 (EDT)
Hey Will,

My advice is to take it easy and make sure you understand how the thing comes
off of there.  The little spring needs to go back in AND it needs to go back
in pretty much the way it came out! Same is true of the big washer...

Be SURE to get the old rubber ("O Ring" type) gasket off the engine! If you
inadvertently leave it on you will wind up with two gaskets installed and one
will soon slip aside and you WILL lose all the oil about 10 miles down the
road! So, get it off there.

When you remove the old filter element, be sure to clean all the old oil
residue (hopefully not much) out of the inside of the metal canister before
putting the new element in. Use a LINT FREE rag to wipe everything clean of
old nasty oil. Use a little of your new oil on  a fingertip to pre-coat the
new rubber gasket before insalling.

Be SURE that the new gasket seats properly when you reinstall the canister
with the new element. If it does not seat quite right you will lose some oil
but not much, may a half quart every 15 seconds. Also be sure that the
canister seats straight when you tighten it down or you will lose a LOT  of
oil, maybe 5 gallons in 30 seconds.  (Where DOES it all come from?) It IS
possible to tighten down the canister without it being seated.

Never heard of anybody threading the bolt back into a oil passage, but hey!
 Who would admit it?

Personally, I believe that after you change the filter and refill with new
oil you should have someone else start the car while you watch for leaks as
the engine will lose 2 or 3 gallons of oil when you start it, go to look at
the filter, see the leak, scramble back toward the cockpit, slip in the
gushing oil, find both your funny bones and the huge lumps on your forehead
and get back to the cockpit to switch off.

Before everybody starts laughing and pointing at me, I should point out that
this is all just stuff I have heard from other people.... But relax, I hear
it gets easier as you go along. By the fortieth or fiftieth oil and filter
change I hear it can be done with only 9 quarts of oil!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM
'36 F2 & '66 Plus 4