Re: Bonnet Scoop

To: arlin@slip.net, FPS3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bonnet Scoop
From: GOTom@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 23:22:26 -0400 (EDT)

<< Does anyone have any info or advice to offer on the procedure (e.g. how
 and how much to cut for the opening in the bonnet; rivets/bolts vs.
 welding; etc.)?  >>

I don't know much about webbers however I saw a unique alternation on a 53 MG
to accomodate larger carbs with air cleaners.  Instead of doing a front
facing scoop, a cut was made about an inch below the bottom of the first 5
lovers (This bonnet is similar to early 50's Morgan and the front carb's air
cleaner hits the bonnett about the same place as it would on a Morgan).  This
flap was bent outward (at the lover closest to the firewall) enough for the
lovered flap to clear the carb & air cleaner while leaving the front part as
the pivoit point.   This formed a triangle at the bottom of the flap which
was fitted with a wedge of sheet metal (and molded into place) to support the
bottom of the flap.  The results were a lovered flap that, at a distance, was
dificult to detect any modification.  This may not work on all Morg's (The
older models with the streighter sides are probably better suited for this
modification) but if it may be worth consideration if one wants to minimize
distorations to the hood.

Tom Gainer
53 Flat Rad