RE: Chassis Number location and heaters

To: "'morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Chassis Number location and heaters
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 21:31:25 -0400
Joe,

Out of curiosity, I looked for the chassis number on my '52 +4 (it's
been years since I looked for it).  Sure enough, I did find but it
wasn't easy.  Looks like the Morgan employee used a set of number
punches to identify the chassis. Numbers are very small and punch didn't
leave much of an imprint.

I don't know if it would be a good idea to etch the cross member with
acid to bring out the number.  Maybe a word with the local constabulary
might help; forensic science is developed well enough to read numbers on
rifles and guns that have deliberately been obliterated by grinding.

I did find the body number, pounded in the wood behind the seats in the
same way, with a number punch.  Haven't located the engine number on the
hinge flanges of the "bonnet" yet, but I'll keep looking.

Since the question about heaters also came up, I looked underneath my
dash.  On top of the sheet metal that is formed around the shaft between
the engine and tranny lurks an 8" x 8" x 6" metal heater box, labeled
"Arvin" in '50's script, you know, letters slanted and attached to each
other. No idea if it is an aftermarket thing or if the Morgan came with
it.  Probably an aftermarket thing
because the switch is mounted on the bottom of the dashboard.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4