Re: Finding TDC?

To: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Subject: Re: Finding TDC?
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:04:44 -0700
Jerry wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how to accurately find #1 TDC so I can file a
> new mark on the pulley? The best thought I have so far is to literally feel
> #1 coming up by pushing a rubber tube into the spark plug hole and getting
> a friend to turn the crank with a wrench on the nut at the end of the
> pulley.

Jerry,
That's how I would try to find TDC.  You can probably get within a
couple of degrees of it by careful feel.  I have used a solid rod
instead of a rubber hose, but with obvious care.  To be really precise,
you do the same with a dial indicator.

Talking about precision however, remember that if your distributor and
timing chain are original, you have way more slop in your actual timing
than you have in finding TDC.  The distributer shaft bearing wear and
contact plate wear really make spark timing jump around a LOT.  Chain
wear also retards timing by a few degrees.

Don't sweat about absolute accuracy...

George Gerth
1963 +4