Re: Rear Axle

To: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>,
Subject: Re: Rear Axle
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 97 20:26:58 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Okay Moggers

Fred gets tthe cigar !  ! pulled the axle apart again and NO BUTTONS. It
would appear that there should be one for each side and  I have none on each
side, nor in the bag,  floor bench or any place else.  Tomorrow  I'll go to
the local brass button store and  pick up a couple.

My worry was that the guy who welded up the tubes for me failed to  push
them into the housing far enough..

As for George and Wills concern that I had smashed up the Arctic Duchess,
no , her axle  is  in place and  doing fine.  I'm working on my  62 Drophead
Coupe (owned since  1984 ).  I bought it from a local  whose  daughter ran
it  into a telephone pole.
She hit the  pole dead center but was not seriously hurt .  I have the
bumper  hanging on the garage wall. Its a perfect "U"  shape   The Grill
and  cowl were pushed flat against the engine which was pushed  back 8
inches.

I've rebuilt  ( read built from scratch) a new body tub. I'm now attempting
to get a rolling chassis to put the tub on  and hopefully  this fall will
start work on  the fenders .

Thanks for the advise and concern

Bob Nogueira

--- REPLY, Original message follows --------

snip--------
> Bob,
> Are you sure that this is collision damage and not "Nogueira Damage"
caused by
> "dropping the clutch" at stop lights?? ;-)
>
> George Gerth
> 1963 +4

They gotta be what they gotta be...
 Mark the outside of the Inner) bearing race on the axle.
 Remove the inner race. Insert the axles without the bearings 'till they
touch (there is a sliding button between them- sure it's not missing? sounds
like it is...).
 Push 'em back & forth 'till they are about centered.
 The outsside of the race (mark on the axle) needs to be proud of the (outer
) bearing housing by a few thou on each side. This will be taken up by the
shims on final assembly.

To be that far off- seems like the button is missing. I know lee Gaskins
went through the same scenerio on a rear end several years ago.

Fred Sisson