Re: New Morgans and lots of them?

To: James Martland <james@clearsite.com>
Subject: Re: New Morgans and lots of them?
From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:52:10 -0400
James,

 Having spent a full day at MMC on 16.7.97., I can tell you with confidence
that the space available in the new "Assembly Shop",(formerly the Paint Shop),
will permit the building of a complete car in as little as three weeks.
However, this is accomplished by building two complete rolling chassis per
day rather than ten a week. It is hoped that at some date in the near future
a third car can be started on some days. But if three could be built in the
"Chassis Shop", this would still only yield about 700 cars per year,
significantly taxing the existing workforce; it still takes about 5 years
to train an apprentice. I can't see how this would reduce the waiting list
more than a year or two in the U.K., especially since it is the desire of
MMC to sell more cars in countries which require air bags to help in defraying
the development costs at the earliest opportunity.

 In my last conversation with Mark Aston, who was refreshingly forthcoming
with respect to outstanding issues delaying the final build of my North
American Spec. 4.0 litre Plus 8, he indicated that October would now be
likely. (Originally it was to be June.) In view of this, I have not heard
from the new Sales Director to verify final specs. At the time of my visit,
Charles Morgan was deputizing in that position, Mark Read was still on hand,
and we DID review things in detail. But several details of the actual model
were not complete at that time. So who knows!!?? As it has been about a month
since my last conversation with Aston, I may soon send a fax to this
new Sales Director requesting an update. Unfortunately, winters can be brutal
here in Western New Jersey.

Willie

At 09:44 PM 9/19/97 +0000, James Martland wrote:
>Greetings to list...
>
>Rather belatedly a friend dropped round an article taken the Financial
>Times of the 6th of September.
>
>In a story headed "Morgan Builds a Fuure Based on Tradition" indications
>were that they had plans to considerably increase production and reduce
>waiting times to around two years.
>
>Apparently, the Works have taken on a former Saab executive as Sales
Director.