Re: Transmisions

To: <FPS3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Transmisions
From: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserm@actsnet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:04:08 -0500
 Fred:

I agree with what you have said in theory and admit that the inner working
of transmissions are the last thing I want to have an understand.  In the
case of my 4/4 when the new transmission was put in, it did give me the
ability to go somewhat faster (5-10 MPH - not great but anything is an
improvement).  I am also willing to concede that this may be due to problems
in the old box and drive shaft.

The shift points are also different in the new box.  The base unit is know a
"D" box where the former was a "B" box.  I don't have a clue as what these
designations mean.  I could start the car in second gear with the old box (I
didn't do it, I said it could be done).  Second gear in the new box is
higher.  I believe the engine would really be lugged down to start that way.

Anyway, changing the gearing in a rear end or changing the whole rear end
has got to be less work than changing/rebuilding a transmission.

Steve Bauserman
67 Morgan 4/4 Series V Competition (running at last)
83 Mercedes 300SD
96 Cherokee Country