oil for +4

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: oil for +4
From: "Robert K. Alexander" <ralex@unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 08:17:13 -0800 (PST)
Hi, just read Willie's ref to the "grease.htm" (which my server can't access,
of course) and his comment about 20-50 wgt oil being the "life blood" of
older Mogs.  I just changed to Castrol 10-30 for winter in my '67 (w/ TR4
engine) and noticed some additional dripping from the lower bell housing. I
don't want to soak the clutch and suspect this is perhaps to thin for the
infamous rear seal, which I presume is of the original type on my car.  The
manual suggests SAE 20 in temps below 40degF and 30 @ 40-70 deg.   What's
the collective opinion on winter oil (and summer, as long as we're at it)?

Thanks,
        Bob Alexander