Wet Protection Measures - WAS:(Morgan Christmas Jaunt)

To: <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wet Protection Measures - WAS:(Morgan Christmas Jaunt)
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 07:18:37 -0800
At 02:59 PM 1/8/98 PST, Vodden, Dave wrote:

>Arlo Levisen wrote
>
>>Since I kept the car pretty much at a steady 90 mph, the wind
>>tended to force the rain water up over the windshield and under the hood
>>and then down the inside of the windshield.

A trick I've used (at speeds up to 75 mph - untested above that) is to
place a terrycloth (or felt) strip between the windscreen frame and the top
along the lift-a-dots.  When the cloth thickens with the moisture, it tends
to prevent more water from being blown in.  A friend in Seattle showed it
to me and it works very nicely (but carry a towel anyway).

The windwings provide some protection except for your elbow, if you have a
tendancy to drive with your elbow on the door.  The last time I drove any
distance in the wet, my elbow got soaked but everything else was fine.

As to the buffeting for the passengers in the rear, I recall an advert in
Miscellany some years ago for a custom fitted removeable hardtop for
4-seaters.  I've always wondered how they would react to someone ordering
one with a sunroof in it...  ;-)       (coals to Newcastle, eh?)

"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer
(503) 292-1234, FAX: (503) 292-1105, email: mdmiles@teleport.com